Wednesday, December 9, 2015

First off, these are "MY" views on marriage. I am not a professional, but I have been married twice. The first, failed miserably. I learned from my mistakes, applied my new found knowledge to my marriage, now. To me, the MOST important thing is...communication. Attraction is nice, common interests... Sure, why not! Honesty, yep, you have to be. If you do not communicate with your partner than those other things mean nothing. For the longest time I thought that honesty was the key to a happy and healthy marriage. While being honest with your partner is important being able to talk to them is the most important thing. When I say "communicate" I do not mean let your feelings fester inside until they boil over, resulting in a argument. When you get mad talk about it. If your partner does something that upsets you, say so. If you want something, tell them. I am not saying that their will not be arguments, I would be lying if I said that. You will argue. ALL couples argue, it's inevitable, like taxes,lol. You argue, you make up, life goes on. Just learn to talk to each other, face to face! Not through text or PM.

Having similar interests is awesome. Having different interests is also awesome. It is important to have a life outside of marriage. it sounds weird so let me explain. Being together is wonderful, being joined at the hip 24/7, not so much. It is essential to have your friends, your hobbies and your passions, as well as for your partner to have theirs. Have a girls night, join a book club, go out for a drink. Make time for you. Each of you has to be happy in yourself before you can be happy in a marriage.

Life can be hectic, it can (and will) kick your butt. Always set aside time each week to spend quality time with each other. Date nights are essential (and fun). Turn off your devices (phones etc.) crack open a bottle of wine cook dinner together and reconnect. Talk, laugh, and remember what made you fall in love with each other. You get out of marriage what you put into it. It is an investment into your future, and it is wonderfully awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment